Barton retirement park residents left without telephone connection for more than a month
RESIDENTS at a retirement park have had no phone connection for more than a month after wires were accidentally damaged during gas works.
Those living at Barton Broads Residential Park, in Maltkiln Road, Barton, have reported their phone lines were cut on December 4 during gas main replacement work in the town by National Grid.
June Watkins, 65, said: "There are a lot of elderly people living in the area who rely on their phones.
"I used to spend £10 a month on my mobile but last month I spent £30 because I did not have access to a landline phone.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Our heavyweight cards have FREE UV silk coating, FREE next day delivery & VAT included. Choose from 1000's of pre-designed templates or upload your own artwork. Orders dispatched within 24hrs.
Terms: Visit our site for more products: Business Cards, Compliment Slips, Letterheads, Leaflets, Postcards, Posters & much more. All items are free next day delivery. www.myprint-247.co.uk
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Sunday, June 30 2013
"We have no internet either, which is a pain. We have spoken to BT numerous times but they still cannot give us a day that the lines will be running again.
"The work being carried out by National Grid is finished now but our phone lines are still down.
"The whole situation has caused a lot of problems for everyone."
Wendy Prendergast, 71, who lives alone, explained: "It has been a nightmare and we have no idea when the lines will work again.
"Christmas time is when you use your phone the most to keep in touch with family. We have not been able to do so."
Malvern Watkins, 67, said: "I rely on the internet for banking and keeping in contact with family and friends."
A spokesperson for BT said three cables were damaged before Christmas and BT had to apply for permission to fix the problem.
This was refused on the grounds that gas works were taking place on the site until Christmas.
"BT then attended the site to try to find an alternative way to fix the problem but this was not possible," said the spokesperson.
"BT have attended the site again twice after the gas company have finished work.
"However, the verge has been declared unsafe due to gravel reinstatement of the surface and it is unsafe to proceed with the necessary diggers we need to use to make the repairs.
"We are sorry for the loss of service customers are experiencing.
"Third party contractors have accidently damaged three cables in the vicinity and we have been unable to access the site due to on-going work by the third party. A visit to site is scheduled this week to establish how we can begin work and restore service as quickly as possible."
A spokesman for National Grid said: "We fully accept responsibility for the damage and apologise to people who lost their connection. We are very sorry for this."