Carbon monoxide leak thought to have caused death of popular man Graham Beesley
A CARBON monoxide leak is thought to have caused the unexpected death of a popular 59-year-old man.
Graham Beesley was found in his North Cotes cottage, and preliminary investigations suggest he could have been poisoned by gas from a solid fuel boiler. Toxicology results are expected tomorrow.
Today, friends have told of their shock, given his high level of fitness and love of outdoor pursuits.
Graham lived in a cottage in Chapel Row, North Cotes, where he died last Wednesday.
BLINDS & CURTAINS MADE 2 MEASURE WE COVER SCUNTHORPE & GRIMSBY...View details
Have a look at our website and view our fantastic new blinds! then you could book a free home visit were we show you more samples and help you choose your new blinds.www.grimsby-sunblinds.co.uk
Contact: 01472 809887
Valid until: Friday, May 31 2013
He was due to celebrate his 60th birthday in just a few weeks' time.
The tragedy comes just days after an inquest was held into the death of Elaine Coley, of Cleethorpes, who had inhaled exceptionally high levels of carbon monoxide leaking from a portable heater.
It has prompted warnings and led to a local firm offering to fit carbon monoxide alarms for free.
Graham's death appears to have been a tragic accident.
Graham's mother, Joan, of Colin Avenue, raised her only son alone following the tragic loss of his father, Roland, aged just 23, in a trawling accident in January 1953.
Joan said: Everybody I have spoken to has had a good word to say about Graham and how well he got on with everyone. He was a very loving son.
"He loved skiing and walking."
Graham attended Old Clee School and then Wintringham.
He worked initially at Grimsby's dock offices before joining Northcliffe Media for 35 years, spending time initially at the Telegraph's Scunthorpe office, responsible for circulation.
He then moved to become a training manager and was responsible for training at the company's centres throughout the country.
He was based frequently at the Grimsby Telegraph and made many close friends there, thanks to his outgoing personality.
Graham took early retirement two years ago to become a ski instructor and mountaineer, both keen passions of his.
Grimsby businessman Ian Robinson was Graham's best friend. The pair met when they were pupils at Old Clee School, in Grimsby.
Mr Robinson said: "He was my closest friend, since our very first day at school, and we lived in the same street – Colin Avenue – growing up.
"He was my son's godfather, and a great one, too.
"The thing about Graham was he was understated but a clever and talented person. He moved in many circles and had lots of different friends.
"We spent much time together when we were children and, of course, when we grew up.
"We both had a shared love of skiing, and his family and I have had some lovely tributes from people involved in the skiing world, from the Ski Club of Great Britain, for example, and Nordic skiers he knew.
"His death appears to have been a tragic accident.
"He wouldn't have been using any appliances if he thought there was something wrong.
"Graham led such a varied life and I am proud to have known him. I will miss him very much."
The Telegraph's managing director Mark Price, on behalf of all his colleagues, said: "I have worked within Northcliffe Media for a considerable number of years and the majority were shared with Graham.
"He was always helpful and always keen to take an interest in every side of the business.
"When I spoke to him just a couple of months ago, he was enjoying his early retirement and looking forward to life in the future.
"This is so sad and our thoughts are with his family and close friends."
Fellow mountaineer and former Telegraph colleague, Rob Sunley, said: "Graham spent the past ten years preparing for his new life as an instructor and mountain guide.
"He was very well-known in skiing and climbing circles.
"He loved the Alps. I have such huge respect for him he was a born leader.
"He was an amazing guy.
"It is such a tragedy and so tragic he has gone so soon after our other climbing friend from the Telegraph David Neal also passed away.
"Graham took young people out on expeditions. He had so much to give. You always knew when you went out walking with him you were going to be safe. He always put safety first."
As well as his mother, Graham is survived by cousin Steve and other relatives. Arrangements for a funeral are currently being made.
Grimsby firm Your Local Tradesmen has extended an offer to supply and fit carbon monoxide alarms for £4.99.
So far, 135 people have taken up the offer. Call 01472 803309 or visit www.yltuk.co.uk and quote reference T1.