Ten Christmas shopping destinations in Grimsby and North East Lincolnshire
Grimsby is gearing up for Christmas in earnest, with the big Christmas light switch-on and late-night shopping just around the corner.
On Thursday, 11-year-old Jake Storr, from Holton-le-Clay, will get the honour of flipping the switch to illuminate the town’s festive decorations to launch the Go To Town This Christmas event.
The celebration will mark the start of late-night shopping, with stores opening until 9pm every Thursday until Christmas.
Visitors will be spoilt for choice with stalls stretching along Victoria Street as part of a festive food fair, while local arts and crafts from the Fabulous Christmas Fair at Grimsby Minster could make original Christmas presents. Both markets run on Thursday and Friday (Nov 22-23).
Nigel Lowther, a spokesperson for Tourism North East Lincolnshire, said: “Grimsby is a terrific shopping destination, with a special atmosphere at Christmas time. Freshney Place and Abbeygate are quality shopping venues, with independent boutiques alongside high street names, enhanced by wonderful Christmas displays and the huge tree at the Riverhead. The lights switch-on is a highlight on the calendar and draws people in from miles around.
“Elsewhere in North East Lincolnshire, the seaside resort of Cleethorpes also has much to offer at Christmas and throughout the year. St Peter’s Avenue is its main shopping street but visitors should also take a stroll along the nearby Sea View Street, with its exclusive boutiques and delightful coffee shops. There will be three large Christmas trees in the town’s shopping area this year.”
It’s the season for giving, as those scouring the shops for the perfect present already know. But a Cleethorpes garden centre is making sure some good causes also receive a welcome gift this Christmas.
Pennells, in Humberston Road, is hosting its annual open evening on December 4 in aid of Mind and the Motor Neurone Disease Association.
Staff are aiming to raise around £1,000 through admission - £2 for adults, £1 for children – and a raffle, with prizes donated by the store’s suppliers. Guests will be treated to tea, coffee and a mince pie, as well as a 10 per cent discount on purchases, and greeted by carols from a local school choir and Santa himself.
Manager William Pennell said this year’s collection of Christmas goods, such as lights, baubles, trees and other decorations, had earned positive feedback from customers keen to create their own festive display.
He said: “This year’s display has moved to a new space and it has a special festive feeling, which has gone down well with customers, and sales are strong.
“I think because we had such a poor April and May weather wise people were unable to get out in their gardens, so now they want to have a really good Christmas to make up for it.”
We’ve put together a list of some top shopping destinations, to help you find everything you need for a sparkling Christmas:
1) Christmas Fair – The Fabulous Christmas Fair hosted by The Culture House takes place at Grimsby Minster on Thursday (Nov 22), from 3pm to 9pm, and Friday (Nov 23), from 10am to 4pm. Enjoy some local talent and pick up a unique gift, too. On sale will be a range of products from glassware to woodwork, jewellery to vintage home accessories. Entry is free.
Grimsby Minster, St James Square, Grimsby, DN31 1EP
2) Late-night shopping – Freshney Place Shopping Centre kick starts late-night shopping on Thursday, (Nov 22), when the centre opens until 9pm and it will open until that time every Thursday until Christmas. The same day Santa and his Elf move into their grotto with the chance for children to meet Father Christmas and let him know what they’re hoping to receive on Christmas morning. There are two multi-storey car parks at the centre providing more than 1,000 spaces.
Freshney Place Shopping Centre, Grimsby, DN31 1ED T: 01472 230250
3) Outdoor decorations – With the craze to decorate outside the home as well as indoors still advancing it can be quite an adventure when travelling as snowmen, angels, Santa and more light up trees, roofs and doors. Pennells Garden Centre in Cleethorpes has a host of festive decorations to get you – and your garden – in the Christmas mood. It is holding an open evening on Tuesday, December 4, with proceeds from the entrance and raffle being split between the Motor Neurone Disease Association and Mind. Tickets £2 for adults or £1 for under-16s on the door, or in advance from Louise in the restaurant.
Pennells Garden Centre, Humberston Road, Cleethorpes, DN36 4RW T: 01472 609023
4) Toy shop – Brimming with toys is The Entertainer in Grimsby, which only opened in March this year. It may be difficult to get the children to leave the store as they marvel at the latest gadgets and playthings or want to peek at some classic games. It is open 9am to 5.30pm, Monday to Saturday.
The Entertainer Grimsby, 35 Baxtergate, Freshney Place, Grimsby, DN31 1QR T: 0844 693 1476
5) Make your own Christmas – If you’re looking for ways to save pennies then check out Katies Kabin Craft Emporium – The Grimsby Craft Shop. Whether you want to make your own cards, jewellery or gifts, there’s a whole range of products to help you. From paper to beads, it could be a great way to entertain the children, too.
Katies Kabin, 24 Wellowgate, Grimsby, DN32 0RA T: 01472 485421
6) Fine food – As well as gifts for under the tree, don’t forget some festive fare. And where better than Grimsby’s own baconologist – John Pettit, owner of John Pettit Butchers is the first in the UK to have the title. He will be able to help shoppers recognise good-quality bacon and encourage them to sample the multitude available. He has put together a host of packages for Christmas with orders online needing to be made by midday on December 19.
John Pettit Butchers, 33-35 Bethlehem Street, Grimsby, DN31 1JQ T: 01472 342724/344922
7) Floral delight – There are flowers for all seasons and occasions so why not brighten up your home with some fresh flowers for Christmas? Shorts Florists in Grimsby Road, Cleethorpes, has a range of products from a planted basket to a candle surrounded by those traditional Christmas colours of red, green and white.
Shorts Florists, 69 Grimsby Road, Cleethorpes, DN35 7AF T: 01472 343413
8) Football gifts – For supporters of Grimsby Town FC, the club’s gift shop should be top of the list for present hunting. As well as replica kits, it has a host of memorabilia for the ardent fan. New for Christmas is a Mariners Original T-shirt, autograph book, iPhone case and Christmas card.
Grimsby Town Football Club, Blundell Park, Cleethorpes, DN35 7PY T: 0871 508 4008
9) Market stalls – Grimsby Top Town Market is open every Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday. The indoor market has around 80 stalls so you’re sure to find something that ticks the right boxes for your Christmas list.
Grimsby Top Town Market, Bullring Lane, Grimsby, DN31 1EB T: 01472 325846
10) Santa Fun Run – Take a break from shopping and either stop and watch or take part in Santas on the Run on Sunday, December 2. The event is raising money for St Andrew’s Children’s Hospice and starts at 10am taking in the town centre and finishes at noon. Entry forms are available from the hospice.
St Andrew’s Hospice, Peaks Lane, Grimsby, DN32 9RP T: 01472 350908