Safety chiefs call for carbon monoxide detectors in homes following deaths
INHALING lethal amounts of carbon monoxide can happen to anyone.
That's the warning from relatives of two people who have been killed by the deadly gas.
Today, safety chiefs echoed the call for every household to be fitted with a carbon monoxide alarm.
Relatives and friends of popular mountaineer and skier, Graham Beesley, and the family of Elaine Coley, of Cleethorpes, said just a few pounds paid for an alarm could have saved their lives.
BLINDS & CURTAINS MADE 2 MEASURE WE COVER SCUNTHORPE & GRIMSBY...View details
Have a look at our website and view our fantastic new blinds! then you could book a free home visit were we show you more samples and help you choose your new blinds.www.grimsby-sunblinds.co.uk
Contact: 01472 809887
Valid until: Friday, May 31 2013
An inquest has opened into the death of Mr Beesley, 59, of North Cotes, after a post mortem examination revealed he died after inhaling a high level of carbon monoxide from a faulty wood burner.
As reported, an inquest last week into the death of Mrs Coley revealed she too died from carbon monoxide poisoning – the source of which was a faulty portable gas heater. To prevent further heartache among other families, the relatives of both have backed a campaign to increase awareness of the dangers of carbon monoxide and ensure all households have alarms and have appliances checked regularly.
Lifelong friend of Graham, Ian Robinson, said: "The fact that Graham was one of the most safety-conscious people who never took risks when out on the mountains or when on the ski slopes, shows this can happen to anyone.
"He is the least likely person to die in such circumstances."
Mrs Coley's brother Adrian backed the awareness campaign and said all his family have the alarms fitted. A special offer on carbon monoxide alarms has been advertised in the Grimsby Telegraph and had an overwhelming response.
Sam Lewis of Your Local Tradesmen said Telegraph readers had bought scores of alarms.
She said: "We have had a lot of calls, especially with the tragedies that have happened. One of our guys goes out and fits them for just £4.99. It is only a phone call away."
Lincolnshire coroner Stuart Fisher, who will preside over the inquest into Mr Beesley's death, said he backed the campaign.
He said: "Over the years I have dealt with several deaths from carbon monoxide. I can only urge, in the strongest possible terms, that all householders fit carbon monoxide alarms which can help prevent further fatalities like these."
Jules Hunt, of Humberside Fire and Rescue Service, said: "Fitting an alarm could save your life and the life of a loved one."
He said as more residents switched on their heating systems, the risk of poisoning increased, and added the gas is odourless and tasteless and can leak from boilers, heaters, gas appliances, wood burners and flues.
"The most important way to reduce the risk is to have these appliances checked," he said.
Carbon monoxide detectors can be obtained by calling 01472 803309 or visit www.yltuk.co.uk