Free carbon monoxide detectors to be handed out in Cleethorpes tomorrow
HOMEOWNERS have been urged to take up the offer of free carbon monoxide detectors.
North East Lincolnshire Council has joined the campaign to make more homes safer from the silent killer.
Free alarms will be handed out at the council's Civic Offices, in Cleethorpes tomorrow between 10am and 1pm.
The free giveaway comes days after Humberston and North Sea Lions pledged to give free detectors away and have them fitted in homes to prevent a repeat of the tragedies which killed Cleethorpes woman Elaine Foley and former Grimsby Telegraph training manager Graham Beesley.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Our heavyweight cards have FREE UV silk coating, FREE next day delivery & VAT included. Choose from 1000's of pre-designed templates or upload your own artwork. Orders dispatched within 24hrs.
Terms: Visit our site for more products: Business Cards, Compliment Slips, Letterheads, Leaflets, Postcards, Posters & much more. All items are free next day delivery. www.myprint-247.co.uk
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Sunday, June 30 2013
Graham's funeral will take place on Thursday at Grimsby Minster at 2pm.
Lions member and friend of Graham's, Dave Harrison said: "We have had a good response to the campaign in the Grimsby Telegraph.
"We will be fitting a number of them this week so already it is a success. We will have a clearer idea of the demand in the coming days."
Every year thousands of people across the UK are diagnosed with carbon monoxide poisoning, which can be caused by unsafe central heating systems, gas cookers or gas fires.
Badly fitted and poorly serviced appliances can cause gas leaks, fires and explosions, as well as carbon monoxide poisoning.
A North East Lincolnshire Council spokeswoman said the free alarms would be given away in conjunction with Balfour Beatty.
She said householders should make sure gas appliances have a regular service and a gas safety check every 12 months.
She urged residents to install an audible carbon monoxide alarm and look out for warning signs that your gas appliances aren't working correctly with lazy yellow or orange flames instead of crisp blue ones.
Gas engineers carrying out works in homes should be checked as having a Gas Safe Register ID card.
Grimsby Institute trainer and gas assessor Paul Coggon urged homeowners to ensure their detectors are fitted in the correct place.
Mr Coggon said: "You might as well not have one if it is positioned in the wrong place."
He said since October 2010, all new or replacement solid fuel appliances have to have a carbon monoxide alarm fitted with them.
Detectors should be placed above appliances at least one metre to either side and 150mm from the ceiling. If they are fitted on the ceiling they should be 150mm away from the wall.
Meanwhile, national safety organisation CO-Gas Safety, which advises MPs, has urged people to make a carbon monoxide detector a Christmas gift to a loved one.
The charity's president Stephanie Trotter said carbon monoxide can be emitted by any faulty cooking or heating appliance, cannot be sensed using human senses and less than two per cent can kill in less than three minutes. She said: "If you are searching for Christmas presents, please give carbon monoxide alarms."
She added the cost should be under £20 from a DIY store.
They are also available to purchase from www.safefiredirect.co.uk by telephoning 0800 9553600. By quoting reference COGAS2012, customers will receive a discount and provide CO-Gas Safety with a £1 donation.
Anyone wanting more details on home safety can contact North East Lincolnshire Council's Home Energy team on 01472 324782.
To apply for one of the Lions' free carbon monoxide detectors, contact Humberston Lions on 0845 8331828 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org