Grimsby Town: Bosses didn't see Garner, Coulson and Duffy in plans for next season
GRIMSBY Town trio Scott Garner, Michael Coulson and Rob Duffy have left the club because bosses Paul Hurst and Rob Scott didn't see them in the plans for next season.
As revealed on our website www.thisisgrimsby.co.uk yesterday, the three players have parted company ahead of their contracts expiring and won't figure in tomorrow's final home fixture against Southport (1pm).
Coulson's exit comes as no surprise after the 24-year-old winger turned down a pay-cut and two-year contract to stay – confirming as much in our exclusive interview yesterday.
And the failure of both Duffy and Garner to establish themselves as first-team regulars means their departure was also on the cards.
BLINDS & CURTAINS MADE 2 MEASURE WE COVER SCUNTHORPE & GRIMSBY...View details
Have a look at our website and view our fantastic new blinds! then you could book a free home visit were we show you more samples and help you choose your new blinds.www.grimsby-sunblinds.co.uk
Contact: 01472 809887
Valid until: Friday, May 31 2013
All three were out of contract this summer and leave early ahead of next week's retained list release.
Coulson scored 24 goals in 114 appearances for the club in two spells.
Meanwhile, his fellow England C international, Garner – both were called up last week for the forthcoming clash with Russia – played 36 games and netted three since his move from Mansfield in 2010.
Hurst told the Telegraph: "Everybody knows the situation with Coulo and his contract so that was going to happen.
"As for Scott, it was more a case of being surplus to requirements and out of contract.
"Early on in the season, he was in and out of the team but then got a chance and took it.
"He played well and was a regular until he went off at Southport with concussion.
"Shaun Pearson came in and never looked back and Scott found it hard to get back in – only getting a game at Darlington when Ian Miller was out with illness.
"Having both Shaun and Dusty (Miller) under contract had an influence on our decision to let Scott move on but he does so with our best wishes."
The third of the trio to depart was Welshman Duffy who has been a bit-part player this season with 23 of his 43 outings coming from the bench.
He still managed to play a part and net some vital goals, bagging 10 in total. But his exit is also unsurprising given that he was transfer-listed last summer before remaining to see out the final year of his contract.
Duffy scored a total of 12 goals in 60 appearances since also joining from Mansfield 18 months ago.
His first came just 26 seconds into his debut at Eastbourne in January 2011; his last coming at Hayes & Yeading United last month.
Commenting on Duffy's departure, Hurst added: "Duffs has generally come off the bench ton score for us and not started that many this season due to the form of Liam and Elds.
"He's been a valuable member of the squad but I'm sure he wants to start more games and we couldn't guarantee him that.
"Like Scott and Coulo, he was out of contract, so we have told them they won't be involved on Saturday and they can go early to get ahead in their search for a new club."
None of the trio will be in tomorrow's squad but everyone else is fit and available to face Southport.
Charlie I'Anson was ill yesterday but is expected to be okay, while Gary Silk has recovered from the knock that kept him out at AFC Telford United.
And the bosses may try subtle changes like the formation swithc they deployed in Shropshire six days ago.
Hurst said: "Silky gave it a go on Friday but wasn't quite right but he's available this weekend.
"It's good to have everyone available.
"Charlie was ill yesterday but hopefully he'll be okay.
"It won't be blatantly obvious the things we are looking at because it will be a similar team to last week.
"We may ask some players to do some different things in the game, though."