Bygones: Lifting bonnet on the past
TODAY, when the garages of Grimsby are spread widely around its perimeter, it is difficult for younger people to imagine that the very heart of town – the medieval centre – used to be some sort of garage centre.
One such garage was that of Roland C Bellamy, whose premises were at 19 South St Mary's Gate. The official opening was performed 90 years ago today, by the general manager of Morris Motors, Mr HW Grey.
The Grimsby Telegraph reported: "The premises are beautifully decorated and commodious, and there is ample floor space both on the ground floor and above for a large stock of cars. Mr Harold S Hall was the architect and Mr W Ion the builder.
After the opening the firm entertained a number of guests to lunch at the Yarborough Hotel."
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Our heavyweight cards have FREE UV silk coating, FREE next day delivery & VAT included. Choose from 1000's of pre-designed templates or upload your own artwork. Orders dispatched within 24hrs.
Terms: Visit our site for more products: Business Cards, Compliment Slips, Letterheads, Leaflets, Postcards, Posters & much more. All items are free next day delivery. www.myprint-247.co.uk
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Sunday, June 30 2013
The building eventually became the home of the Grimsby Savings Bank in October 1957 (later to become the TSB), before being occupied by Bridge McFarland, who have retained the character of the exterior.