Neglected warehouse can be knocked down
A FORMER warehouse will be demolished after claims it was at risk of collapse.
East Lindsey District Council's Planning Committee has granted permission for the demolition of the former warehouse in Cinder Lane, opposite Kidgate Primary School, in Louth.
The site had once been a jam factory and later a saw mill.
The committee also gave the go-ahead for a replacement development scheme for the site, comprising of six dwellings with a communal garden area.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Our heavyweight cards have FREE UV silk coating, FREE next day delivery & VAT included. Choose from 1000's of pre-designed templates or upload your own artwork. Orders dispatched within 24hrs.
Terms: Visit our site for more products: Business Cards, Compliment Slips, Letterheads, Leaflets, Postcards, Posters & much more. All items are free next day delivery. www.myprint-247.co.uk
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Friday, May 31 2013
The demolition means the loss of a tall industrial chimney, which is a feature of Louth's skyline.
Andrew Clover, from Lincs Design Consultancy, representing Rodanto Ltd, said: "There has never been deliberate neglect by the applicant."
Reg Bagshaw, who lives by the site, wrote to the council stating he and his wife live in fear of substantial parts of the building collapsing onto their property, causing possible injury and damage.
Ward councillor Sarah Dodds said: "This building poses an imminent danger to the hundreds of children who walk to school.
"I do not think we can allow this imminent danger of collapse to stay any longer."
The demolition had been before the planning committee last year, but a suitable replacement scheme had not been applied for.
Town mayor Councillor Jill Makinson-Sanders said: "I have got every sympathy for the residents of Anvil Cottage, but the people who bought this site have allowed this to fall into disrepair.
"They should, being in a Louth conservation area, come up with a decent scheme but they have left it and left it.
"It might be dangerous, but that moral judgement should rest with the developers."
The new development plan, which was approved will be heard again at the October meeting for planning conditions to be agreed.
It is likely that the planning permission will only have a two year limit, to speed up the redevelopment of the site.
Following the decision, Mr Clover said: "The site has been actively marketed for sale since planning permission was granted for conversion to flats in October 2008.
"However, the site remains unsold and in this period the buildings have fallen into significant disrepair and pose a threat to neighbouring residents and Kidgate School.
"The approval of both applications will now enable the site to be demolished and will obviously be of considerable relief to residents and the school.
"We are pleased that a satisfactory outcome has finally been achieved for this site."