Plans to build 100 new Barton homes on former former factory site welcomed
Renewed plans to build more than 100 homes on the site of a former engineering factory have been welcomed in the town.
Soutergate Properties Ltd is aiming to win permission to develop 108 properties on land at St Mary's Works, on Marsh Lane.
The project is set to be discussed at an informal hearing next month, chaired by a Government-appointed planning inspector.
Permission for the development was refused by planners at North Lincolnshire Council earlier this year.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Our heavyweight cards have FREE UV silk coating, FREE next day delivery & VAT included. Choose from 1000's of pre-designed templates or upload your own artwork. Orders dispatched within 24hrs.
Terms: Visit our site for more products: Business Cards, Compliment Slips, Letterheads, Leaflets, Postcards, Posters & much more. All items are free next day delivery. www.myprint-247.co.uk
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Sunday, May 26 2013
The development was refused for five reasons, which it said went against local or national planning policy.
But developer Neal Dickinson appealed against the decision in a bid to overturn it.
John French, president of Barton Civic Society, said he thought the development would be beneficial.
He said: "The site is an eyesore, it is a largely redundant site and this would be a good means of tidying it up.
"It is a good site for housing, in that it is not far from the town centre and I think it is very appropriate.
"It would be good for the town and would be a means of tidying that site up to provide a useful site for new housing.
"We always welcome the reuse of brownfield sites as opposed to the use of greenfield and I think this is a classic case where that would take place."
The application to develop the site was first submitted in January 2006 and was eventually refused by the council in July this year.
Wendy Witter, chairwoman of Barton Town Council's planning committee, also said she thought the project would be good for the town.
She said: "It has dragged on for a long time and it is a prime site in the centre of the town.
"We would love to see it developed.
"It is a good thing for the centre of the town and if they can sort the details out, it would be a good site to develop."
Among the reasons given for the initial refusal were an incomplete archaeological assessment on the site.
The proposed new homes were also deemed to be out of keeping with the setting, character and appearance of the area.
A statement submitted to the appeal, summarising the council's case, states: "The principle of developing the site for a residential scheme is not objected to.
"However, the details of the development fail to comply with the relevant planning policies and government guidance."
The informal hearing will be held in the Mike Holden Room at Waters' Edge Country Park on Tuesday, November 13, from 10am.
The planning inspector will make a decision on a later date as to whether the project can go ahead.