Residents get in line for free detectors to protect against hidden killer carbon monoxide
THERE were people from all walks of life among the scores of householders who queued up at Cleethorpes Town Hall to receive their free carbon monoxide detectors.
They were given away yesterday courtesy of North East Lincolnshire Council's home energy team.
The promotion was run in conjunction with Balfour Beatty Living Places in partnership with the council.
Each recipient was given instructions on where best to install the detector.
BLINDS & CURTAINS MADE 2 MEASURE WE COVER SCUNTHORPE & GRIMSBY...View details
Have a look at our website and view our fantastic new blinds! then you could book a free home visit were we show you more samples and help you choose your new blinds.www.grimsby-sunblinds.co.uk
Contact: 01472 809887
Valid until: Friday, May 31 2013
Make sure gas appliances have a regular service and a gas safety check every 12 months
Install an audible carbon monoxide alarm
Look out for warning signs that your gas appliances aren't working correctly such as lazy yellow or orange flames instead of crisp blue ones, black marks on or around the appliance and too much condensation in the room
Make sure only a Gas Safe registered engineer works on your gas appliances. Illegal gas fitters can put your life at risk. Always check the engineer's Gas Safe Register ID card.
Vicky Haughey, 43, of Eastwood Avenue, Grimsby: "I have just had a log burner put in and I saw the stories in the Grimsby Telegraph about the people who died.
"You have got to be on the safe side. There are that many people losing their lives because of carbon monoxide and I have twins at home we want to make it as safe as possible."
Anthea Scott, 63, of Cromwell Road, Grimsby: "My husband and I are both disabled. He is 70 and keeps going off to sleep. We both struggle getting up and down the stairs so having a detector would give us more time to get out. We read in the Grimsby Telegraph about the two people who died. A detector is essential."
Jemima Chilvers, 39 of Grafton Street, Grimsby: "My husband has had a few strokes and heart attacks. If we get a detector fitted it will let us know if there is carbon monoxide about in the house and we can get out and do something about it. It could save his life."
Denise Dutton, of New Waltham: "It saves lives. I have a child at home and pets and we love them all.
"You can't smell carbon monoxide. I have two boilers and a gas fire, so it is quite important to me to have one near each of the three appliances. I think it is brilliant what the council has done to give them away.
"There are so many people here and I am sure they will do it again in the future."
Pauline Stevenson, of Franklin Place, Brereton Avenue, Cleethorpes: "Carbon monoxide detectors save lives. I will sleep more easily now I have got one.
"I have a 92-year-old mother- in-law who lives away and I will get one for her. They could make a nice Christmas present."
A spokesperson for the council said: "The interest in the giveaway of carbon monoxide testers shows people are starting to understand the importance of having one of these life-saving devices in their home.
"Due to the high demand we are looking to source additional detectors and we will shortly be in contact with those people who were unable to take one away with them today."
The spokesman said there would, in addition, be a second giveaway at a later date.
If you require any further information or would like advice on heating and insulation measures, call the Home Energy team on 01472 324782.