Restaurants to take someone special this Valentine's Day in North East Lincolnshire
Valentine’s Day is just around the corner, and venues in and around Grimsby are hoping to entice couples to mark the occasion with a memorable meal for two.
From country pubs to town centre hotels and restaurants, there are plenty of Valentine’s menus on offer to ensure that you and your partner find a perfect match, whatever your taste.
For those looking for a cultural treat this Valentine’s period, loved-up couples should also make a date at Cleethorpes’ Parkway Cinema.
The venue last year launched a new programme in which theatrical events from around the world are broadcast on the big screen, and will be bringing a performance by the Bolshoi Ballet to the seaside cinema on Sunday, February 10.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Friday, May 31 2013
Described as “the next best thing to being at the live venue with the audience”, the performance will tell the tale of Don Quixote, obsessed with romance and chivalry. Visit www.parkwaycinemas.co.uk for more information.
To take a stroll together, head to The Garden House, Saxby, near Market Rasen, from February 15 and enjoy the spectacle created by snowdrops, crocus and winter iris.
Owner Chris Neave said: "It's the perfect place for a romantic stroll - people often say how romantic the garden is.
"In February you will see snowdrops, crocus and early spring bulbs as well as winter flowering shrubs, hellebores and willows, which on a sunny day really shine with reds, golds and yellows. There is a real feelgood factor at this time of year."
Visitors to The Garden House can also warm up in the tea room, where they will find homemade soup, cakes, tea and coffee. For more information, visit www.thegardenhousesaxby.co.uk.
To help you sweep your other half off their feet this Valentine’s, we’ve put together a list of 10 ideas for a special dinner for two in and around Grimsby:
1) Grimsby couples hoping to get away from it all on a Valentine’s break don’t have to look far for a romantic retreat. The St James Hotel in the heart of the town centre, close to the shopping centre and nightlife, is celebrating the occasion by hosting a four-course candlelit dinner for guests with live entertainment. It’s part of the venue’s Valentine’s package, which includes meal, one night’s accommodation and breakfast for £80 per couple. The offer is available on February 14 and 15, with more information available atwww.corushotels.com/special-offers or 084 4736 8612.
The St James Hotel, St James Square, Grimsby, DN31 1EP. T: 084 4736 8612.
2) A seafront setting will provide the backdrop for a special meal for two at Cleethorpes’ Riverside Tapas Bar and Restaurant. Guests can choose from two courses for £18.95 or three courses for £24.95. Starters include smoked haddock fishcakes with poached egg and chive beurre blanc and roast pigeon with a roasted pear and walnut salad. Pan-fried salmon, braised lamb shank and chicken ballontine are among the options for main courses, while desserts include crème brulee and chocolate and raspberry brownie. For more details and to see the full menu, visit www.theriversidebarandrestaurant.com.
The Riverside Tapas Bar & Restaurant, 2 Alexandra Road, Cleethorpes, DN35 8LQ. T: 01472 600515.
3) Head out into the countryside with your loved one for fine food in a peaceful setting. Hall Farm Hotel is five miles from Grimsby on the edge of the Lincolnshire Wolds, and is inviting couples to make a date with the venue this Valentine’s. The restaurant has created a special three-course menu featuring classic French onion soup or hickory smoked breast of chicken to start and Gressingham duck, fillet of seabass or goat’s cheese and chive cannelloni for the main course. Diners can then indulge in ginger and mascarpone crème brulee, pistachio cake or cheese and biscuits for dessert. For more information and to view the full menu, visit www.hallfarmhotelandrestaurant.co.uk.
Hall Farm Hotel and Restaurant, Ashby Lane, Ashby cum Fenby, North East Lincs, DN37 0RT. T: 01472 220666.
4) Grimsby’s Humber Royal Hotel is inviting couples to spoil themselves this Valentine’s, booking in for dinner or even an overnight stay at the town centre venue. The kitchen has prepared a five-course dinner, which is available for loved-up diners on February 14, 15 and 16 and includes a complimentary box of chocolates. The meal is priced at £59.95 per couple, while dinner and a one-night stay costs £119.95, including bed and breakfast. Visit www.thehumberroyalhotel.co.uk for more details.
Humber Royal Hotel, Littlecoates Rd, Grimsby, DN34 4LX. T: 01472 240 024.
5) “Steak” your claim on a table for you and your other half at the Dovedale Hotel in Cleethorpes. Besides offering the opportunity for a romantic stroll along the seafront, the hotel is cooking up a three-course feast for diners on February 14, 15 and 16 for £39 per person. If steak is your heart’s desire then this menu is your perfect match, with four different kinds and five different sauces to accompany them (£4 supplement for T-bone or fillet steak). There is plenty of choice for diners, with starters including pate, king prawns and scallops and tomato and goat’s cheese quiche, and mains including beef bourguignon, seabass and vegetarian moussaka. Any sweet cravings will be satisfied with classic Italian tiramisu, chocolate and fudge brownie and lemon tart among the dessert options. Visit www.dovedalehotel.com for more information and to see the full menu.
Dovedale Hotel and Restaurant, 12-18 Albert Road, Cleethorpes, DN35 8LX. T: 01472 692988.
6) Raise a glass to each other at the Oakland Hall Hotel, where you’ll get a special “J’Adore” cocktail to start your evening at the venue’s Comfy Duck Bistro. As well as a four-course dinner for two, each couple will receive a professional photo as a memento of their special evening. Book for £70 per couple on February 14, 15 or 16. Singer Adele is known for her emotional tunes, and couples will be able to enjoy a romantic evening as a tribute act performs her popular hits on February 15. Enjoy a glass of prosecco and a four-course meal in the mood-lit Churchill Rooms, as well as a disco and a photo of you and your other half to take away. Visit www.oaklandshallhotel.co.uk for more information.
Oaklands Hall Hotel, Barton Street, Laceby, Grimsby, DN37 7LF. T: 01472 872248.
7) The Cricketers in Grimsby is all loved up this February, with a special menu available from February 7 to February 17 – so there’s no excuse not to book in for a meal! Starters include popcorn chicken, leek, potato and Welsh vintage cheddar soup as well as La Cantina Combo for couples to share, including chicken wings, breaded mushrooms and more. Pork chops, Wexford chicken and salmon Hollandaise are among the main dishes while desserts include Eton mess, baked British blackcurrant cheesecake or the indulgent For The Love of Chocolate – a series of chocolate treats to share. Diners can book two courses for £9.95 or three courses for £12.95. For more information, visit www.pub-explorer.com/lincs/pub/cricketersgrimsby.htm.
The Cricketers, Littlefield Lane, Grimsby, DN34 4PS. T: 01472 343016.
8) Head to the heart of the Lincolnshire Wolds, where the team at the Swallow Inn are extending a warm welcome to all those celebrating with their special someone this Valentine’s. Drawing on their love for local food, they have drawn up a three-course menu to help you enjoy a date to remember from February 14 to 16. Guests could begin with antipasti and homemade bread to share or tuck into smoked salmon and prawn cocktail, chicken liver parfait or more. The main event includes options such as pan-fried monkfish, belly of pork and duck breast, with a perfect ending in the form of chocolate fondue to share or other sweet treats to choose from. For more information and to view the menu, go to www.theswallowinn.co.uk.
The Swallow Inn, Caistor Road, Swallow, Lincolnshire, LN7 6DL. T: 01472 371250.
9) A sparkling evening of celebration will begin with a glass of Champagne at Laceby Manor, where love is in the air this February 14. Guests will enjoy a four-course menu as music from the venue’s pianist adds to the romantic atmosphere. Starters include duck and orange pate, smoked salmon or roast parsnip and rosemary soup, while for mains diners can choose from stuffed chicken fillet, belly pork, vegetable stir fry and pan-fried sea bass. Banoffee pie, crème brulee or a cheeseboard followed by coffee and petit fours will provide the perfect conclusion to the occasion. Visit www.lacebymanorgolfclub.co.uk to view the menu and more information.
Laceby Manor Golf Club, Laceby, Grimsby, DN37 7LD. T: 01472 873468.
10) Figs in Cleethorpes might win your heart this Valentine’s. The small restaurant enjoys a spot just a short walk from the seafront and will be serving up a special Valentine’s menu, with the details soon to be available on its website. To whet your appetite, examples of dishes served up at the eatery are duck with whisky and passion fruit sauce, eye of lamb with sweet potato chips and Figs finest fillet steak pie, as well as daily fish specials. Keep an eye on the website, www.figs.uk.com, for details of Valentine’s fare.
Figs, 36 Alexandra Road, Cleethorpes, DN35 8LE. T: 01472 322 470.