Time to 'turbinate' turbine revolution!
RE Grimsby Telegraph, February 2, page 12 – 'Records in the wind'.
Maf Smiff, deputy chief executive, Renewable UK, has his 'eureka moment' on Sunday, February 3, when total metered wind generated power supplied to the national grid for the first time, exceeded five gwatts, more than 12 per cent of the nation's electricity! Wow!
But excuse me, isn't this currently (no pun intended) from about 4,000 onshore and offshore turbines, and wasn't it blowing like hell all week?
We might just as well be throwing taxpayers' money, renewable green subsidies, at Archimedes' screws! No, don't tell me, we are?
Let me take Maf Smiff back to December 13, 2012, the coldest day of the winter up to that date – it was -5C even in my back yard and not a breath of wind.
Figures released by the National Grid that day of percentage of power generated by – nuclear 14 per cent, gas 37 per cent, coal 45 per cent, wind turbines 1.6 per cent, hydro electric 1.2 per cent and a strange 0.2 per cent from the Netherlands.
These figures add up to 99 per cent of that day's power. Where has the other 1 per cent gone? Could it be that energy known as entropy – that dissipated as waste heat or perhaps hot air generated by the green climate changes? One point six per cent, yer 'avin us on, Maf!
Our greatest ever government has plans to build 4,000 more wind turbines to produce 20 per cent of our energy by 2020. The arithmetic doesn't seem to add up to me.
We will soon have more wind turbines than un-illuminated lamp posts. How about the mean daily of energy produced by wind turbines over the last 12 months, Maf? And then divide that by 4,000 – it's not likely to make much sense.
I smell a whiff of hypocrisy from the greens, the renewables, global warming lobbyists – reminds me of the story of the 'Emperor's new clothes' – fairy tales all.
I hear the little people (6" tall) of Lilliput are tendering with huge subsidies, for wind farm turbine technology to meet their tiny future energy needs. They even have 'the right kind of wind' all year round. Let me see I have the island of Lilliput map reference for you ... somewhere.
Lemuel (ships surgeon), aka JA Atherton,