'Vigilante' binmen refuse to collect Cleethorpes resident's rubbish
"VIGILANTE" binmen refused to collect this man's rubbish because a car parked outside his house – which didn't even belong to him – had blocked their vehicle.
North East Lincolnshire Council has apologised to Lloyd North for the "unacceptable conduct" of the crew, saying their actions "clearly fall short of the high standards we expect from our workforce".
Angry Mr North, 43, of Rowston Street, Cleethorpes, explained how about ten bins from other houses in the street had been moved to surround a car parked outside his home.
When he returned from work that day, he realised that while other bins had been emptied, his had not, and concluded the refuse collectors had thought it was his car causing the blockage.
Offers for gents and ladies.
This afternoon due to a cancellation Aimee is offering a cut and blowdry for £15.00
Terms: Present voucher on arrival, with Aimee only
Contact: 01472 802985
Valid until: Saturday, May 18 2013
He complained to the council immediately about the "totally unjustifiable" decision, and was later told the rubbish would be collected.
Mr North's bin was finally emptied yesterday.
He said: "These vigilante binmen should not hold their own kangaroo courts to mete out justice as they see fit – there are proper channels to deal with these sort of things.
"I understand their frustration at the obstruction but this was an incredible childish response and I should not have to suffer the consequences when I had nothing to do with it – that is totally wrong.
"I pay my council tax and all I ever expect in return is to have my rubbish collected, so to be treated with this level of arrogance by public servants is totally unjustifiable.
"I told them about the problem straight away but my stinking bin has still not been emptied and has been sitting at the front of my house since Thursday night.
"I'm trying to be reasonable but I shouldn't have to wait nearly a week for my rubbish to be collected and I think that I deserve an apology for this unprofessional treatment."
The council has now made firm arrangements for the bin to be emptied, written to Mr North and publicly apologised for the incident.
A spokesman for the authority said: "We have written to Mr North and apologised unreservedly for the unacceptable conduct of the crew responsible.
"Their actions clearly fall short of the high standards we expect from our workforce and we are sorry for the inconvenience caused."