More celebrity arrests planned as Grimsby woman abused by Jimmy Savile calls for open investigation into police
A NEW wave of 'high profile' arrests of celebrities is being planned by detectives investigating the Jimmy Savile scandal.
Nazir Afzal, a CPS chief crown prosecutor, told the London Evening Standard that the arrests were "scheduled for the next few weeks".
The news follows calls from a Grimsby woman who claims she was a victim of Jimmy Savile for an open investigation to be launched into the way the case has been handled by police.
She spoke out yesterday after a damning inquiry revealed that Savile's decades of abuse could have been stopped nearly 50 years ago.
MAYFAIR ESTATE AGENTS
If we cannot find you a tenant within one month, we will find you one for FREE, yes FREE, you will pay no fees
Contact 01472 355553
Terms: Terms and Conditions Apply
Contact: 01472 355 553
Valid until: Thursday, May 23 2013
Potentially vital intelligence about his sex crimes was buried in 1964 – the year the first accusations were made about the presenter – because he was a celebrity.
The report linked him with young girls at a Surrey children's home but police failed to act on the information.
Two later allegations – from a woman who said Savile sexually assaulted her at Top of the Pops and an anonymous letter branding him a paedophile – were also buried in police files.
These were classified as 'sensitive' or marked 'restricted' by the Metropolitan Police and so weren't readily available to other forces and hindered the chances of Savile facing charges before his death in 2011.
Failure by police to 'join the dots' meant that the potential for further investigation and a prosecution of Savile was missed, Her Majesty's Inspectorate of Constabulary found in its report Mistakes were Made.
Forces across Britain come under fire for ignoring Savile's victims and in a shocking warning, HMIC said there was a 'distinct possibility' that police could fail to prevent a similar Savile scandal.
The Met launched Operation Yewtree into the allegations against Savile last October following an ITV documentary exposing him. Around 450 people came forward making specific claims, with 214 recorded as crimes – including 32 rapes
.But when HMIC asked the 43 police forces in England and Wales to scour their records just five allegations and two pieces of intelligence were recorded against the disgraced star during his lifetime.
The Grimsby woman, who was a patient at Broadmoor hospital during the 1970s, has previously told the Grimsby Telegraph that the disgraced presenter inappropriately touched her.
Wishing to remain anonymous, she said: "It was a different force back then, but they had the opportunity to stop him, so why did they never stop him?
"There needs to be an open investigation into the police as, I believe, there is still a lot more to come out. It's scary.
"All this action now is too little too late. Someone allowed him to do this. He was seen to be above the law."