'Something has to change' at 'disgusting' Grimsby hospital
A WOMAN who spent two weeks in Grimsby's hospital claims she came out worse then when she went in.
The 31-year-old of Grimsby, who did not want to be named, came forward with her story as it emerged that the Care Quality Commission (CQC) – a body which regulates care in the UK – inspected Diana, Princess Of Wales hospital on Tuesday.
The results of the inspection will be released over the next few weeks, as part of an aim to tackle the higher than average mortality rates across Northern Lincolnshire and Goole Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust (NLAG)– which manages DPOW.
Further investigation, which comes off the back of the report into Stafford Hospital, will also be carried out within the next few months by Sir Bruce Keogh, medical director of the NHS Commissioning Board.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Our heavyweight cards have FREE UV silk coating, FREE next day delivery & VAT included. Choose from 1000's of pre-designed templates or upload your own artwork. Orders dispatched within 24hrs.
Terms: Visit our site for more products: Business Cards, Compliment Slips, Letterheads, Leaflets, Postcards, Posters & much more. All items are free next day delivery. www.myprint-247.co.uk
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Friday, May 31 2013
The woman was admitted to DPOW in September last year, after she claims her GP prescribed her with too much paracetamol for stomach pains.
She claims that not only did the "overdose" damage her nervous system, leaving her with a life-long condition and registered disabled – but following her experience of care at DPOW, "something has to change".
The woman says she was moved to three different wards during the two weeks she spent in the Grimsby Road facility.
She said: "On one ward I saw nurses rushing around trying to manage more than one thing at once, they seemed understaffed and this affected their care to patients.
"Some had the attitude that they just could not be bothered.
"I also developed a urine infection while in the hospital and was put on tablets for it.
"One of the most upsetting parts was a nurse totally breaking patient confidentiality and telling my nanna everything about my medical records without asking my permission to do so.
"On another ward, a consultant came to assess my arm, which I could hardly move at the time, and lifted it straight up causing me agony. He only apologised to me the following day.
"You go to hospital expecting to feel safe and looked after, not the total opposite.
"I have only high praise for the last ward I was admitted on to. The staff and consultants were fantastic – I could not believe I was in the same hospital.
"I think the care does differ from ward to ward for some reason, and this needs to be tackled quickly.
"I am glad that this investigation will now take place, as anything that will try to improve the Trust and patient care has to be a good thing. Something must be done soon.
"I have made complaints to the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) and I am now trying to seek compensation from both my GP and the hospital."
Wendy Booth, Trust director of clinical and quality assurance, said: "We have received a formal complaint from this lady which we have fully investigated and we will respond directly to her."
Further issues were raised by a 42-year-old woman, who claims she was so concerned about her 66-year-old father while he was in hospital, she slept on a camp bed next to him.
The woman, who also wished to remain anonymous, said: "He had a horrible experience there. It got so bad I had to sleep there to make sure he was looked after properly.
"He wasn't able to bear weight, yet he only had one nurse to help him to the toilet – he was dropped twice.
"His catheter wasn't inserted properly. The area swelled so badly he almost needed surgery.
"They ran out of medication for him when he was on the high dependency unit, so I had to go home to get his tablets. They ran out of Sudocrem, so I had to buy some from a supermarket.
"He couldn't grip anything but they put food in front of him and expected him to feed himself. When the nurses fed him, they would feed him too quickly so he would end up choking.
"The care he received was disgusting."
Wendy Booth said: "We would ask this lady, if she hasn't already done so, to contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service so that we can discuss her concerns with her."